Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I Challenge You: Turn Your Beliefs into ACTIONS


Hi there! I hope my fellow Texan friends are staying cool in this weather. If you are escaping the heat.. well then.. I'm jealous. :) This past Sunday, I attended a church service. The preacher's message was on that really stuck with me. He asked if we know what we believe in. And if so, do we really live by those beliefs? Sure, it seems simple enough. Without analyzing, you could easily say yes! But if you take the time to really truly look inside and evaluate yourself.. do you really? 
It got me thinking... I have my beliefs about religion, family, and life in general. But I have never written them down. After doing that, I was on a roll. Because education is another integral part of my life. I could apply this to my profession, as well!

After days of erasing, crumpling paper, and jotting down notes, I *think* I have my education beliefs covered. There are so many things I could say, but everything boils down to these 8 statements for me.
The experience was one that really helped me grow as an educator. I gave myself time to really reflect and decide what was most important to me. Writing it down just solidified my thoughts. 

What about you? Do you have your beliefs? Most importantly, are they written down? Because now that I did, I have a reference. Anytime there is a sticky situation, or I am feeling frustrated, or I am unsure of how to handle a situation, I will come back and read my 8 statements. These give me purpose, and they drive my action. 

The Purpose Driven Life is a popular book with a widespread audience. I challenge you to take the message, but funnel it to our profession. Teach with a purpose. Use your statements to drive, encourage and help you through the fulfilling, emotional, gratifying, overwhelming, happy profession we call teaching. 

I encourage you to write your own beliefs. Please share a link to your Blog, or the beliefs themselves, in the comments below. Let us teach purposefully!


Continue on with the Beliefs to Actions blog hop by visiting my friend Racheal Burden (also known as 180 Days to Happy) by clicking here!! 

With Love from Texas,

8 comments:

  1. I love this! This is such an inspiration for the beginning of the school year. This is such a great Blog Hop idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I've so enjoyed hosting it and reading all the other posts. It's eye opening to see what drives everyone.. but when you get down to it we all have the same core values. :)

      Delete
  2. I think about my beliefs, but I've never written them down for me. (Just assignments for grad school) You've inspired me to do it for me!

    Teaching in an Organized Mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad!! It really helped me center myself before the new school year. I hope it does the same for you. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for planning and organizing the blog hop! It is a fabulous idea! I agree with each one of your beliefs! Parents really are the first and more important teachers in a child's life. Children learn from what they see and it is so important for a parent to be a good role model. I also agree with your belief that child rise to high expectations. As educators we have to help them set solid goals for themselves and help them reach those goals. By helping them with these goals we show them that anything is possible when you set your mind to it!

    Jackie
    Neat Sweet & Hard to Beat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie-- thank you for your sweet comment!! So glad you feel the same. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your comment on risk taking. So important!

    Lisa
    LisaTeachR'sClassroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa-- that is one that is SO hard for me to put into action! I'm the type of person who likes her ducks in a row and everything all planned out. Risk taking is an area that is definitely out of my comfort zone, but so important. :)

      Delete